12/6/07

Faith and Basketball

Tonight I decided to spend some of my free time shooting hoops. It is has been a while since I played basketball, a sport that at one point my life literally revolved around. Although I am still better than the average joe, it is obvious that my skills are deteriorating with every passing day. Not because I am getting older, rather because of my lack of practice.

I laughed at a particular moment tonight. I squared my shoulders to the basket bent my legs and released the ball that floated through the air with a perfect arch only to hear a loud, "CLANK."

Brick...

I thought it was interesting how a shot could feel so perfect and yet look so bad.

I though back to some of the decisions in my life; One's that happened fifteen months ago, or one month ago and how they felt so right at the time. It was only until after the decisions when I looked back and saw what I did wrong, just like with the jump shot. Without practice, spiritually and athletically, one will never know wether what they are doing is right or wrong. If one is not practicing basketball, they will never know whether their jump shot was a good one. And if one doesn't practice his faith, live it out, daily and have an active, vibrant relationship with the living God, he will constantly be guessing about God's direction for their life.

4 comments:

Patricia Bennett said...

I love how you can take any story and relate it back to a true spiritual message/insight. I very much enjoy coming to your blog - I feel uplifted when I read it.

Amie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amie said...

I literally laughed out loud when I read the part when you missed the basket cause I could just see it happening and it made me giggle. But I agree with patty. I just love when a simple incident happens, like playing basketball and all of a sudden God hits you on the head and everything just seems so clear.