10/28/07

Concerns


Blogs perturb me.
I recently took a small seminar on the origination and the idea of blogging and I will never look at it the same. The point of blogging is to give normal people a chance to post up their ideas or thoughts without having to put up with publishing, advertisements or web design issues. The original bloggers were and are, in at least some way, journalists, and blogging was away for them to publish without having to put up with money hungry publishers or cranky editors in the newsroom. I have to consider myself a journalist since that is my concentration, however, I find that I am much different than most of the journalists I come across. However, somewhere along the line, blogging became about people just posting whatever they were feeling. Blogs are now filled with annoying, pointless ramblings about everyday life that no one really reads anyways. Here are some pointers for you bloggers that may help with this hindrance.
-People don't want to hear about your boring everyday life or your thoughts unless you are doing something or are someone of particular intrigue. This includes celebrity blogs or blogs where family and friends can keep track of you if you are on a trip of some kind. An example is my trip to Turkey, which is exactly why this blog was originally created. Carly and Sarah's blogs are also popular right now while they are in Thailand.
-You have to post something that will catch peoples attention. This includes current news, social injustices, etc. However, in order for you to acquire readers, you must have credibility on what you are writing about. For example, someone would rather read an opinion on the exegesis of John from a theology professor, than from a self-absorbed, know-it-all college student sitting in their dorm. Although pure interest sometimes helps people with credibility, very seldom do they know how to put their thoughts in concise, readable formats.
As I was looking at my list of other bloggers I was saddened at the amount of blogs I have that 1. I really don't read and 2. Teach me nothing at all about anything. I want more blogs that inform me about things I don't know! I think that is what they are originally for.
Sorry to all of you who have a blog, titled: "Life", I don't mean to be such an ass but most likely you will get bored with your blog and no one will ever know it existed, unless you give them a good reason to read it. If my blog ever falls victim to any of the faux pas I have listed above, please, please, please let me know, asap.
Keep an eye out for more concerns.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you really post this blog at 7:54am?? Crazy. I understand what your saying. But sometimes if you have nothing to write about you have to post some "fluff" so as to not lose readers!

Amie said...

so when i was reading this blog my first thoughtwas that u were making a good point, then second i started to think about how this somewhat relates to those times when u hear certain prayer requests that make u just go 'are u serious?' i.e. please pray for my dog, he has a cold. look forward to reading more concerns

RobinDayle said...

It's my blog, and I can write whatever the hell I want to.
:-)

Doesn't matter to much who reads it, because people still do.

And no, I don't think there are hard and fast guidelines for blogging. It's personal, therefore to be used for whatever the person wants. Dont like, don't read.

Miss ya AJ.

A.J. Soldo said...

I agree. Blogs don't have guidelines. Just look at how they are being used nowadays for so many different things. I was simply stating the orignition of blogging and my personal opinion of what makes blogs successful. I would also agree that one doesn't have to read a blog if they don't want to. No one really reads mine so that is pretty obvious. JK. haha. Miss you too rob.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to say not everyone is normal! People use these sites to get their messages across, personal
or otherwise, just like myspace or anything else out there. You made a good point and it seems that many are blogging for the wrong reasons. There are so many more important things to write about, from the fires to the issues in Turkey and oh yes, the importance of homecoming at CBU! I think everyones priorities are screwed up just a little? Credibility is not only based on what you write but who you are!

Anonymous said...

Who are you kidding? It's obvious who and why your readers read your blogs! Wonder why I never see any guy comments????

Anonymous said...

http://www.ragamuffinsoul.com/?p=3225

Go there. Be Intrigued lol.

Anonymous said...

Where does one find a blogging seminar? Carlos told me about in Georgia - but thats a little far :)