10/10/07

Nashville Baby!


I am leaving for NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE tomorrow and I have to tell you that I couldn't be more excited. A small group of us "editors" for the journalism program are going to be attending the Baptist Press Convention, where Baptist college students from around the country come and learn about Journalism. I always enjoy looking for ways to further my education in the field I am studying in and this is a great one.
Nashville is an interesting city to me. Other than being the country music "mecca" and hopefully one day my future home, it is also one of the most dynamic cities in America. Presbetrianism penetrates every aspect of the city not just with churches, but colleges, book stores, music companies and other large buildings with crosses on them. It is very evident that Baptism and other demnominations have very strong roots in this part of the country. Sadly though, in the same areas of downtown where the churches are, there are also countless bars, strip clubs, homeless, prostitutes and other crime. It is interesting to me how Christianity has created its own culture in Nashville, rather than embracing and trying to reach the sinful culture that already exists. A good book that touches on this problem in the first couple of chapters is a book called Mere Discipleship by Lee Camp, check it out.
Anyways, last year when we were there we got to see Leann Rhimes in person so maybe I will get lucky again. I have better chance of noticing people because I am a country music freak and know wierd things like what Kenny Chesney's keyboard player looks like. We are going to visit the Grand Ole Opry, Country Music Hall of Fame and of course the Craker Barrel as well.
So while I am there I might check out some future places to play, to stay and to work so pray that I meet some contacts that will help me with my future career.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I figured you would be writing about your trip! This is right up your alley isn't it? I must say Anthony James I keep learning more and more about you and well.....your future home and tattoos on certain females upper arms???? Should I be worried or scared? One thing I do know about you is that you are a walking encyclopedia on country music? A.J. who sings this, A.J. do you know the words to that!!!!
Have fun, we'll be praying for your safe return.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you! For safety, fun and to make contacts for the future. Nashville is a place I want to visit someday as well - I understand your passion for it!

Anonymous said...

No one understands your passion more than I and that is what can be so confusing! We all have our hopes and dreams and despite everything that is going on in our crazy lives, I do hope yours come true. As much as you love the thought of Tennessee, I look forward to your safe return.